Orchestrating Multiple Data-Parallel Kernels on Multiple Devices

Janghaeng Lee, Mehrzad Samadi, Scott Mahlke
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
24th International Conference on Parallel Architectures and Compilation Techniques (PACT), 2015


   title={Orchestrating Multiple Data-Parallel Kernels on Multiple Devices},

   author={Lee, Janghaeng and Samadi, Mehrzad and Mahlke, Scott},



Download Download (PDF)   View View   Source Source   



Traditionally, programmers and software tools have focused on mapping a single data-parallel kernel onto a heterogeneous computing system consisting of multiple general-purpose processors (CPUS) and graphics processing units (GPUs). These methodologies break down as application complexity grows to contain multiple communicating data-parallel kernels. This paper introduces MKMD, an automatic system for mapping multiple kernels across multiple computing devices in a seamless manner. MKMD is a two phased approach that combines coarse grain scheduling of indivisible kernels followed by opportunistic fine-grained workgroup-level partitioning to exploit idle resources. During this process, MKMD considers kernel dependencies and the underlying systems along with the execution time model built with a few sets of profile data. With the scheduling decision, MKMD transparently manages the order of executions and data transfers for each device. On a real machine with one CPU and two different GPUs, MKMD achieves a mean speedup of 1.89x compared to the in-order execution on the fastest device for a set of applications with multiple kernels. 52% of this speedup comes from the coarse-grained scheduling and the other 48% is the result of the fine-grained partitioning.
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)

* * *

* * *

TwitterAPIExchange Object
    [oauth_access_token:TwitterAPIExchange:private] => 301967669-yDz6MrfyJFFsH1DVvrw5Xb9phx2d0DSOFuLehBGh
    [oauth_access_token_secret:TwitterAPIExchange:private] => o29ji3VLVmB6jASMqY8G7QZDCrdFmoTvCDNNUlb7s
    [consumer_key:TwitterAPIExchange:private] => TdQb63pho0ak9VevwMWpEgXAE
    [consumer_secret:TwitterAPIExchange:private] => Uq4rWz7nUnH1y6ab6uQ9xMk0KLcDrmckneEMdlq6G5E0jlQCFx
    [postfields:TwitterAPIExchange:private] => 
    [getfield:TwitterAPIExchange:private] => ?cursor=-1&screen_name=hgpu&skip_status=true&include_user_entities=false
    [oauth:protected] => Array
            [oauth_consumer_key] => TdQb63pho0ak9VevwMWpEgXAE
            [oauth_nonce] => 1485292989
            [oauth_signature_method] => HMAC-SHA1
            [oauth_token] => 301967669-yDz6MrfyJFFsH1DVvrw5Xb9phx2d0DSOFuLehBGh
            [oauth_timestamp] => 1485292989
            [oauth_version] => 1.0
            [cursor] => -1
            [screen_name] => hgpu
            [skip_status] => true
            [include_user_entities] => false
            [oauth_signature] => OIvOD5pe4TMguSgzOKfAXUsVPGU=

    [url] => https://api.twitter.com/1.1/users/show.json
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

HGPU group

2140 peoples are following HGPU @twitter

HGPU group © 2010-2017 hgpu.org

All rights belong to the respective authors

Contact us: